MV Malayan Reefer
Atitlan – © Derek Longly (Dover, 01/08/1981)
Steel single screw ”A” Class motor vessel built in 1965 by Eriksbergs Mekaniska Verkstads AB, Gothenburg (Yard No 557) as a Refrigerated Cargo/General Cargo ship
- Length: 148.8m (overall) 137.2m (between perpendiculars)
- Breadth: 18.98 m
- Depth: 11.89m
- Draught: 8.412 m
- Tonnage: 8,067 gross/4,291 – 4,556 net/8300 – 8433 deadweight
- Engines: Oil 2SA 8-cylinder B & W 7-7VT2BF-160 diesel
- Power: 7460kW/10000bhp
- Speed: 18.5 knots (service)
- Capacity: 12 passengers/370000 cu.ft (bale) 374510 cu.ft (insulated)
- Number of Hatches: 4 (34’, 33’, 33’, 33’ x 18½) also side hatches.
- Call Sign: SLTI, DUHF
- IMO Number: 5028734
- Official Number: 10108
- Port of Registry: Stockholm/Sweden, Manila/Philippines
- Sister-Ship: Atlantide
October 12th 1960: Launched as ATITLAN
December 27th 1960: Delivered to Salénrederierna Ab, Stockholm.
Courtesy of Chris Howell
1974: Continuous survey.
November 1975: Sold to Skanfil Shipping Inc, Philippines (c/o Salen Reefer Services, Stockholm).
November 1976: Renamed MALAYAN REEFER.
© Ken Lubi (Tyne, 25/09/1978)
June 12th 1984: To Enterprise Co Ltd Kaohsiung, Taiwan for breaking by Gwo Yeong Enterprise Co.
June 28th 1984: Scrapping commenced.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Chris Howell, Derek Longly and Ken Lubi for their assistance in producing this feature.
Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)