TS Stad Antwerpen
Roy Thornton Collection
Steel triple screw turbine steamer, built and engined by Cockerill’s of Hoboken (Yard No. 530)in 1913 for the Belgian Marine Administration’s Ostend service as a passenger/mail vessel.
- Length on deck: 91.44m (300.0 ft)
Breadth of hull: 10.97m (36.0 ft)
Depth: 7.0m (14.6 ft)
Tonnage: 1,365 gross (1931)1,384, 1,849 (1937)/636 net (1931), 890 (1937)/1,779 deadweight (1937)
Engines: 3 sets Cockerill compound direct drive steam turbines later converted to oil burner.
Boilers: 8 Babcock & Wilcox w/t forced draught
Speed: 24 knots (Trial)
Capacity: 900 passengers (1914), 200 passengers and 60 cars (1936)
Call Sign: GQDL
LR Register Number (1931- 1932): 3457
Sister ship: Ville De Liege
March 4th 1913: Launched
1913: Delivered and experimentally fitted with Frahm-type anti-roll tanks, which were later removed.
July 6th 1913: Left Antwerp for trials at Plymouth.
July 6th 1913: Called at Dover for water on the way, departing again the following day.
August 11th 1913: Made her inaugural voyage Ostend – Dover.
August 1st 1914: Laid up in Ostend.
August – August 19th 1914: Made several crossings, with passengers, between Ostend and Folkestone.
1914: She became a transport for Allied troops.
Imperial War Museum (Q 18821)
August 20th 1914: Antwerp.
August 22nd 1914: Evacuates 200 wounded from the Ostend garrison to Dunkirk and Caen and returns from Le Havre with military equipment. On the return trip, at Le Havre, shipped equipment for the Belgian army.
September 2nd 1914: At Ostend.
October 7th 1914: Evacuates public service officials and refugees from Antwerp to Ostend.
October 10th – 14th 1914: Transports refugees from France to England.
October 17th 1914: At Le Havre converted to a Hospital Ship and sent to Dunkirk as a floating hospital.
Courtesy of Arne Pyson
April 1915: Owing to the bombardments in Dunkirk she was sent to Le Havre.
August 26th 1915: Loaned to the British.
August 27th 1915 : Used as a Hospital Ship between Calais, Boulogne, Dieppe and England.
October 13th 1915: Evacuation of Ostend.
August 8th 1916: Arrived at Gravesend with exchanged prisoners of war.
December 31st 1918: Completed service as a Hospital Ship having made 431 crossings.
January 18th 1919: Refitted
January 25th 1919: Returned to Regie voor Maritiem Transport, Oostende and, together with her sister VILLE DE LIEGE, they were the first Belgian steamers to bring Belgian exiles back to Ostend .
1919: After major refit returned to service between Ostend – Dover.
1920: Fitted with Frahm anti-rolling tanks, but owing to the extra weight of water, soon removed due to fear of supplementary risk of instability.
© P Ransome-Wallis (Roy Thornton Collection)
February 22nd 1928: Whilst entering Dover Harbour, struck the breakwater and damaged her bow.
1930: Funnel cowls removed and tops painted black
April 16th 1930: In heavy seas, thrown against the pier in Ostend. Refloated by tug.
May 1st 1933: Near to the South Goodwins and in thick fog collided with PRINCESS MARIE JOSE (outward bound from Ostend). At the time of the collision STAD ANTWERP (inward bound Dover – Ostend) had stopped and PRINCESS MARIE JOSE was going dead slow. Minor damage to both vessels and able to continue service.
October 17th 1934: Sold at public auction to Van Heyghen, Belgian breakers.
1935: Broken up in Ghent.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions found. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Arne Pyson and Andreas Wörteler for their assistance in producing this feature.
Special thanks to Urbain Ureel
Articles: The British Newspaper Archives
Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)