Ex Denton Venture, El Kheer, El Hussain, Dorset Coast
Steel single screw motor vessel built in 1959 by Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd Yard, Ayrshire (Yard No 427) as a Cargo/Container Ship.
- Length: 67.08m (overall) m (between perpendiculars)
Breadth: 10.94 m
Depth: 4.48 m
Draught: 4.419 m
Tonnage: 1206 – 1225 gross/626 – 610 net/1297t – 1277t deadweight
Engines: 7-cylinder 2 SA 7-cylinder Sulzer diesel engine
Power: kW/1260 bHP
Speed: 11.5 knots
Capacity: 1,841 cubic metres (65,045 cubic feet), 30 cars
Call Sign: GBVE
IMO Number: 5093181
Official Number: 301304
Port of Registry: Liverpool/UK, London/UK, San Lorenzo/Honduras, Piraeus/Greece
January 13th 1959: Launched.
May 1959: Delivered as DORSET COAST for Coast Lines Ltd, Liverpool.
March 3rd 1963: Following the withdrawal of DEAL (II), demise charter to British Railways Board for use at Folkestone.
Roy Thornton Collection (Folkestone)
February 1964: “Damaged her propeller in Boulogne and was withdrawn for repairs. In her place came the Newhaven – Dieppe cargo vessel BREST (II).”.
BREST (II) @ Folkestone (Roy Thornton Collection)
September 1st 1965: Charter ended.
1966: Converted to a container ship.
1970: To Coast Lines (Services) Ltd, Liverpool.
1971: Registered under Coast Lines (Services) Ltd.
February 26th 1971: Coast Lines Ltd acquired by The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company Ltd.
October 1st 1971: Management transferred to P&O Short Sea Shipping Ltd.
August 1st 1972: Registered under Belfast Steamship Company Ltd.
October 1st 1973: Registered under General Steam Navigation (Trading) Ltd.
March 31st 1975: Management transferred to P&O Ferries.
April 30th 1976: Registered under P&O Ferries (General European) Ltd.
July 14th 1978: Registered under P&O Ferries Ltd.
February 22nd 1979: Sold to James Stewart Tyrrell, Irish Republic and renamed EL HUSSEIN.
1980: Owner re-styled Delta Marine & Trading Co, Egypt
1981: Sold to Omar Ibrahim, Saudi Arabia.
1981: Sold to Sayed Mohamed Sadaka Hitfa, Egypt and renamed EL KHEER.
1981: Sold to Naviera Denton Venture S de R L, San Lorenzo, Honduras and renamed DENTON VENTURE.
1984: Sold to Isabella Maritime Co, Piraeus and renamed OURANIA.
1985: Sold to Brugse Scheepssloperij SA, Belgium for demolition.
June 24th 1985: Demolition commenced at Bruges.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: John Hendy and PWR for their assistance in producing this feature.
Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)