Nigel Thornton CollectionMV Prinses Josephine Charlotte (II), Past and Present

18/11/2016: Page updated - NT

MV Athens Express

ex Leto, Prinses Joshephine Charlotte, Car Ferry

 

© David Ingham

 © David Ingham

Steel twin screw motor vessel, built by Cockerill’s of  Hoboken (Yard No 731) in 1949 for the Belgian Marine Administration’s Ostend service as their first purpose-built car ferry. Engined by Sulzer Bros.,Winterhur. 

Technical Data

  • Length on deck: 113.05m (373 ft) (overall)/ (357 ft) (between perpendiculars)
  • Breadth of hull: 15.97m (53.6 ft) (extreme)
  • Draught: 3.78m (28 ft) (moulded)
  • Tonnage: 2,572 gross/1,197 net/819 deadweight
  • Engines: Two 10-cylinder Sulzer two-stroke single acting diesels.
  • Power: 5,670kW
  • Speed: 22 knots
  • Capacity: 700 passengers, 110 cars
  • Call Sign: ORAA (1952 – 1976)
  • ID Number: 5285356
  • Registry: Oostende (1948 – 1976), Piraeus (1977 – 1984)

History

October 1948: Named CAR FERRY when launched.

Nigel Thornton Collection  Nigel Thornton Collection

Nigel Thornton Collection (both)

June 1949: Delivered to Belgian Marine Administration, Oostende, Belgium.

June 3rd 1949: Maiden voyage from Ostend – Dover

June 17th 1949: Commenced service between Ostend – Dover.

June 29th 1952: Damaged slightly in collision with Townsend’s HALLADALE in Dover Harbour.

July 13th 1952: In a second collision with another ship, this time with the ocean going tug ROUMANIA. Entering harbour from Ostend that day, the Belgian boat was caught by high winds and forced beam -to-beam into the tug, with resultant damage to the Channel packet’s port side.

1952: Renamed PRINSES JOSEPHINE CHARLOTTE.

© A G Jones  © A G Jones

© A G Jones (both)

© Fotoflite  

© Fotoflite

November 1970: Belgian Marine joined the Sealink consortium. Trading as Sealink

© David Ingham  © David Ingham

© David Ingham (both)

November 1st 1971: Belgian Marine became the Belgian Maritime Transport Authority – Regie voor Maritiem Transport (RMT).

Nigel Thornton Collection  Nigel Thornton Collection

Nigel Thornton Collection (both)

1973: Collided with the breakwater in Dover only causing minor damage

© A G Jones

© A G Jones

March 15th 1974: She made her last sailing as a normal ferry and was then laid-up in reserve.

© John Hendy

© John Hendy

March 15th 1975: No further use being found for her, she was laid-up for sale.

March 8th 1976: Sold to Blanca Compania Naviera S.A., of Panama. Renamed LETO.

1977: Sold to G.Kousouniadis, Piraeus, Greece and renamed ATHENS EXPRESS, running between Greece – Cyprus and Syria with some domestic Greek routes.

Nigel Thornton Collection

Nigel Thornton Collection

October 24th 1977: She reportedly(?) collided with the Greek cruise ship ANTILIARKOS PEZOPOULOS (?) outside Kos.

June 1984: She was laid-up at Eleusis Bay where she was eventually scrapped.

Nigel Thornton Collection  Nigel Thornton Collection

Nigel Thornton Collection (both)


All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: John Hendy, Ted Ingham, A G Jones and Andreas Wörteler for their assistance in producing this feature.

Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)


Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *