ex Oia, Queen of the Channel (II)
Courtesy of Ted Ingham
Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1949 by Wm Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton (Yard No 1415) as a passenger ferry
- Length: 82.94 m (overall) 78.64 m (between perpendiculars)
- Breadth: 13.42 m
- Depth: 3.51 m
- Draught: 2.388 m
- Tonnage: 1472 – 1594 gross/603 – 818 net/1080 deadweight
- Engines: 2 x Oil SA 8-cylinder Sulzer diesels
- Power: 2207 kW/3000 bhp
- Speed: 18 knots
- Capacity: 1,500 passengers
- Call Sign: GFMR, SYUB
- IMO Number: 528805
- Official Number: 183023 (LR 1967 -68)
- Port of Registry: London/United Kingdom, Piraeus/Greece
February 25th 1949: Launched.
May 25th 1949: Completed. Similar to ROYAL SOVEREIGN (IV), “although had a larger forward observation saloon.”.
May 1949: Delivered to General Steam Navigation Co, Ltd, London, England as the ‘Queen of the Channel‘. “Sailed from Ramsgate in her first season and took trips to the French coast (non landing) or the Kent coast calling at Dover then cruising to off Dungeness. She later took on the London to Clacton service from Tower Pier, calling at Southend en route.
© Ken Smith
Courtesy of Ted Ingham (all)
Roy Thornton Collection
1966 (end): Laid up at Rochester, on the River Medway, Kent (UK).
Courtesy of Ted Ingham.
© A G Jones
1968: Sold to Aghia Papanti Cia, Mar, S.A. Piraeus, Greece and renamed OIA. Registered Manager; Kriton Steamship Co., Ltd.
Courtesy of Chris Howell (both)
1976: Sold to George Kousouniades Shipping, Piraeus, Greece and renamed LETO.
August 1983: Arrived Leodias Kladias Ltd, Eleusis, Greece for scrapping.
March 29th 1984: Scrapping commenced.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Chris Howell, Ted Ingham, A G Jones and Ken Smith for their assistance in producing this feature.