TS Duchesse de Bretagne
Brighton – Roy Thornton Collection
Steel twin screw passenger steamer built by William Denny of Dumbarton (Yard No 1428) for The British Transport Commission in 1949
- Length: 95.0m (overall), 91.388m (between perpendiculars)
- Breadth of hull: 12.37m
- Depth: 7.25m
- Draught: 3.39m
- Tonnage: 2,875 gross/1,079 net/456 deadweight
- Engines: 2 x Denny, Pametrada, single reduction geared steam turbines
- Power: 19,000shp (16,150shp astern)
- Speed: 16 knots (service) 24 knots (maximum)
- Capacity: 1,450 passengers (summer)/1,417 passengers (winter)/(20 cars , 1966)
- Call Sign: GHCN, GGCK.
- ID Number: 505188
- Official Number: 165208
- Registry: Newhaven/UK, St Helier/Jersey
October 7th 1949: Launched at a cost of £637,925 (£215,446 BTC proportion) and the first channel steamer to be fitted with tripod masts.
April 25th 1950: Sea trials were conducted on the Skelmorlie mile reaching 24.5 knots.
Roy Thornton Collection
April 30th 1950: Left Dumbarton for Newhaven.
Roy Thornton Collection (all)
May 4th 1950: The Brighton was delivered to British Railways (Southern Region) / Societe Nationale des Chemins de Fer Francais (SNCF) and introduced between Newhaven and Dieppe.
Roy Thornton Collection (Southampton 19/05/1950)
© the late Henry Maxwell (courtesy of John Hendy)
June 1964: Relegated to relief work and no-passport excursions.
Roy Thornton Collection
July 1966: Made a pilgrim trip from Folkestone to Boulogne.
Courtesy of Michael Woodland
Roy Thornton Collection (left) and courtesy of John Hendy (right)
© John Hendy (all)
© William MacDonald (Left) and Courtesy of Chris Howell (Right)
September 18th 1966: Withdrawn following a final trip from Newhaven.
© A G Jones
© A G Jones (Newhaven 14/10/1966)(both)
December 1966: Sold to Mr Cowasjee the owner of Jersey Lines Ltd. , and under the name LA DUCHESSE DE BRETAGNE she sailed to Antwerp for a three months refit and rebuild (drive-on drive-off facility for 25 cars).
April 30th 1967: Left Antwerp after rebuild.
May 15th 1967: Initiated an unsuccessful cross-Channel venture between the Channel Islands and Torquay.
© John Hendy (both)
“New” Courtesy of Derek Longly
1968: Excursions included Southampton/Torquay and Plymouth to Jersey.
1969: Commenced service between Jersey – St Malo – Torquay – Plymouth – Portsmouth.
1969: Owner went bankrupt and the ship was arrested in Southampton.
July 18th 1969: Sold to Messrs Pounds and towed to lay-up in Tipner Lake, Portsmouth.
1970: No owner could be found so she was sold for scrap.
February 14th 1970: Towed to Bruges Ship-Breakers Co in Ghent, Belgium.
August 6th 1970: Scrapping commenced.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: John Hendy, Chris Howell, A G Jones, Derek Longly, William MacDonald and Michael Woodland for their assistance in producing this feature.