DHB Lady Brassey
ex HMS Lady Brassey, Lady Brassey
Lady Brassey – © Alex Duncan, Roy Thornton Collection
Steam twin screw salvage steamer built by J P Rennoldson & Co, South Shields (Yard No 285) in 1913 for Dover Harbour Board.
- Length: 39.62m (130.1 ft)
- Breadth of hull: 8.56m (28.1 ft)
- Depth: 4.21m (13.8 ft)
- Tonnage: 362 gross/348 net/148 deadweight
- Engines: 2 x 2-cylinder J P Rennoldson comp
- Power: 235 nhp
- Winches: 5BH
- Speed: 12 knots
- Code/Call Sign: GQWY
- ID Number: 114909
- Registry: Dover
- Sister-ships: LADY CRUNDALL
July 24th 1913: Delayed from June, launched.
October 1913: Completed and delivered to Dover Harbour Board.
October 30th 1913: Arrived in Dover.
“The Lady Brassey has been built in almost, every respect to the same model as the Lady Crundall, which shows that although the latter vessel has now been in service some years, there was no need to make any serious alterations to the design of the new boat, whilst, moreover, new tug has been completed without a single extra being required. The chief outward difference between the two is that the Lady Brassey is fitted with an after mast in order that wireless may be rigged. This difference will, however, soon be equalised, as a new steel aft mast was brought Dover in the new tug that will fitted in the Lady Crundall, so that it, too may have wireless telegraphy. The engines of the Lady Brassey are some 1,600 h.p., rather more powerful than its sister ship. The salvage pumps are under the engine hatch instead of being on deck and they provide not only for suction from another ship, but also from the engine room, and also for pumping into a ship on fire. The crew’s quarters are aft and forward is a deck cabin and a saloon for liner passengers’ accommodation. On the upper deck are four of the new life-saving apparatus designed by Captain Iron (the Harbour Master) to comply with the Board of Trade regulations. There are two new fittings here. The steam whistle is actuated a lever by the steering wheel instead of a cord, and there is no safety valve over the deck to deluge the passengers with water. The side lights have been placed in a revolving carrier so that, when the tug goes alongside a vessel, they can be swung inboard and the lamps saved from being damaged. Otherwise, there are really no differences to be noted from the sister ship. Both vessels are fitted with German system of wireless telegraphy, which occupies less space than some of the other systems. There will be three wireless operators, who have a berth off the saloon, the apparatus standing on the saloon table when in use. The new tug came into dock last night, and will remain in over Sunday.”. (Dover Express – Friday 31st October 1913)
Lady Brassey – Courtesy of Mike Jackson
February 7th 1916: Assisted PEEL CASTLE when a fire broke out in the steward’s storeroom.
February 27th 1916: Went to assistance of S.S. MALOJA which had struck a mine two nautical miles off Dover. Eventually sank, 132 dead.
August 29th 1917: Went to assistance of barque CUPICA, anchored near buoy 13 and, wanting tow clearance of mines.
September 16th 1918: Assisted HMS GLATTON.
February 2nd 1920: Assisted in refloating the S.S. BERRIMA.
1934: Accompanied H. E. Temme as he swam the Channel, South Foreland to Cap Blanc Nez.
December 20th 1939: Commissioned as HMS LADY BRASSEY operating as a “Rescue Tug”
Lady Brassey – Courtesy of Andy Gilbert
March 4th 1940: Went to assistance of tanker CHARLES T. MEYER which had stuck a floating mine.
April 16th 1940: Panamanian steamer ALBA ran aground on the Goodwins, 3½ miles 55° from Deal Coast Guard Station. Tug LADY BRASSEY and salvage vessel DAPPER sailed from Dover to assist. After jettisoning cargo and the efforts of seven tugs, she was finally refloated at 1830/17th, brought to the Downs and anchored.
May 28th 1940: Went to the assistance of the Examination Vessel OCEAN REWARD which had been reported in collision with a Hospital Ship off the Southern Breakwater.
June 1st 1940: Assisted PRAGUE (London and North Eastern Railway passenger ship) to be beached off Deal.
June 24th 1944: Assisted EMPIRE LOUGH, collier, which had been intercepted by German E-boats in the English Channel and set on fire. Beached near Folkestone but a total loss.
June 28th 1944: Together with tug LADY DUNCANNON went to assist DALEGARTH FORCE
1 & 2
3 & 4
Extracts from: Admiralty Salvage in Peace and War 1906 – 2006: Grope, Grub and Tremble (by Tony Booth)
Extract “London Gazette” 19/09/1944
January 31st 1946: Together with tug PERSIA made unsuccessful attempt to tow S.S. LURAY VICTORY off the Goodwin Sands.
June 29th 1946: Returned to the Dover Harbour Board.
Lady Brassey – Roy Thornton Collection
February 24th 1951: During a gale collided with Belgian Marine Administration’s PRINCE PHILIPPE II. The Belgian ship being flung against the tug while the latter was berthed against the Prince of Wales Pier.
Lady Brassey – Courtesy of Dover Marina.com
Lady Brassey – 🆕Courtesy of Derrick Packman (© P Ransome-Wallis)
November 1958: Towed to Rotterdam
Lady Brassey – Courtesy of John Hendy
Coventry Evening Telegraph (28/11/1058)
November 28th 1958: Broken up by NV Machinehandel & Scheepssloperij, Nieuw Lekkerkerk.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Dover Express Archives, Andy Gilbert, Mike Jackson, Derrick Packman and Nigel Scutt for their assistance in producing this feature.
Special thanks go to John Hendy