MV Seraya Jaya
Ex Eastern Pioneer, Tarros Ilex, Zim Manila, Tarros Ilex, Marisud Prima, Tarros Ilex, Cheshire Venture
Tarros Ilex – © Bob Scott (Dover)
Steel single screw “Tarros Class” motor vessel built in 1972 by A Vuyk & Zonen’s Scheepswerven NV, Capelle/Ijssel, Netherlands (Yard No 859) as Ro-Ro/Container Ship.
- Length: 85.32 m (overall) 79.19 m (between perpendiculars)
- Breadth: 13.75 m
- Depth: 5.8 m
- Draught: 4.73 m
- Tonnage: 1475 – 1592 gross/876 net/1875 – 1905t deadweight
- Engines: (1972) 4SA 6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. Werkspoor 6TM410 type/(1977) Oil 4SA-six-cylinder Mirrlees-Blackstone KMR6 diesel
- Power: 2387kW/3200 bHP – 2354kW/3200nHP
- Speed: 15.0 knots
- Capacity: 8 passengers/TEU: 113/330 trailers
- Crew: 18
- Call Sign: CROG, ELDZ3, HP6089
- IMO Number: 7234492
- Official Number (LR: 1974-75): 358740
- Port of Registry: London/UK 🇬🇧, Hamilton/Bermuda 🇧🇲, Liberia 🇱🇷, Panama ,🇵🇦 Honduras 🇭🇳, Indonesia 🇮🇩
- Sister-Ship: Londis (855), Atlantic Jamaican (856)
August 25th 1972: Launched as CHESHIRE VENTURE for Sea Containers Chartering Ltd, London. Manager: J B Sherwood.(Intended as TARROS ILOMBA).
November 17th 1972: Completed.
1973: Common Brothers (Management) Ltd., appointed as managers.1975: Crescent Shipping Ltd., appointed as managers.
1977: Renamed TARROS ILEX Sea Containers Chartering Ltd, London. Manager: J B Sherwood.
July 1977: Re-engined and renamed MARISUD PRIMA Sea Containers Chartering Ltd, London. Manager: J B Sherwood.
1978: Renamed TARRIS ILEX Sea Containers Chartering Ltd, London. Manager: J B Sherwood.
1979: Renamed: ZIM MANILA Sea Containers Chartering Ltd, London. Manager: J B Sherwood.
1981: Renamed TARROS ILEX for Sea Containers Ltd, Hamilton, Bermuda and operated Dover to Zeebrugge with coal in containers.
1984: Transferred to Deckship 3 Ltd., (Naviera Humboldt S.A., managers), Liberia.
Tarros Ilex – © Bob Scott (16/08/1984)
1988: Sold to Eastern Container Lines Ltd, Bangladesh and renamed EASTER PIONEER
1991: Sold to Joo Tat Shipping Pte., Panama and renamed SERAYA JAYA. Manager: Cahaya Samudera Shipping Pte. Ltd..
May 1999: Sold to Sentosa Ocean Lines, Jakarta, still as SERAYA JAYA
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Dover Strait Shipping, Bob Scott, Fotoflite and Andreas Wörteler for their assistance in producing this feature.
Special thanks to Nigel Scutt @ Fotoflite
Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)