MV Messina Strait
ex Carla Pira, Carmel Bio-Top, Rio Yarkon
© Enrico Righetti
Steel single screw motor vessel built in 2004 by Estaleiros Navais De Viana Do Castelo S.A. (Yard No 213) as a General Cargo ship
- Cost New: $20m
- Length: 176.33m (between perpendiculars), 185.91m (overall)
- Breadth of hull: 25.14m
- Depth: 13.4m
- Draught: 9.3m
- Tonnage: 18931 gross/8827 net/16494t deadweight
- Engines: (1) 2T- 7 cylinder Sulzer diesel
- Power: 16550kW/22486 bhp
- Speed: 21 knots
- Capacity: 460498 cu ft/ 270 FEU + 74 TEU or 630 TEU
- Call Sign: A8CJ6 (Rio Yarkon), ZCDQ5 (Cala Pira), PJMP
- IMO Number: 9267546
- Registry: Liberia, Bermuda, Willemstad/Curacao
- Sister Ship: Magellan Strait
2004: Completed as RIO YARKON and, together with her sister, immediately sold.
2004: Renamed CARMEL BIO-TOP. Owner; Rio Yarkon. Manager; Columbus Shipmanagement GmbH.
© Enrico Righetti (left) and © Benoit Donne (right)
May 18th 2006: Owner; Furzehill Ltd.
October 2011: Renamed CALA PIRA.
May 17th 2013: Owner; Messina Strait Shipping Co Nv,Greece. Manager; Seatrade Management Co Ltd, Athens.
June 1st 2013: Renamed MESSINA STRAIT.
August 2017: Together with her sister MAGELLAN STRAIT (IMO 9267534) sold for scrap after only 13 years!
August 23rd 2017: Beached at Alang as SINA
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions found. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Federico Bolognini, Benoit Donne, and Enrico Righetti for their assistance in compiling this feature.