MV Baltic Carrier
ex Algeciras Carrier, Zenit Carrier, Winter Sun
Winter Sun – Nigel Thornton Collection
Steel single screw motor vessel built in 1979 by Götaverken Öresundsvarvet Ab, Landskrona (Yard No. 916) for Salénrederierna Ab/ Zenit Kylfinans Ab, Stockholm as Refrigerated Cargo Ship
- Length: 169.25m (overall) 157.71m (between perpendiculars)
- Breadth: 25.76 m
- Depth: 15.09 m
- Draught: 10.12 m
- Tonnage: 11,690 gross/6,202 net/15200 deadweight
- Engines: One 2SA 6-cylinder B & W- Gotaverken diesel
- Power: 15079 kW/20,500 bhp
- Speed: 22.0 knots (max) 19.0 knots (laden)
- Capacity: 17,100 cu/m (240 TEU)
- Holds/Hatches: 4; 26.9/29.7/28.8/28.8 (including four side doors on each side)
- Call Sign: SGLN, C6KF4, J8B3793
- IMO Number: 7707918
- Official Number: 720435
- Port of Registry: Stockholm/Sweden, Nassau/Bahamas, Kingstown/St Vincent Grenadines
- Sister-Ship: Winter Moon, Winter Sea, Winter Star, Winter Water, Winter Wave
December 1979: Delivered to Salénrederierna Ab/ Zenit Kylfinans Ab, Stockholm.
January 1985: Sold to Zenit Dry Cargo Ab, Gothenburg and renamed ZENIT SUN.
1987: Sold to Irgens Larsen, Oslo, Norway.
May 1989: Sold to Kvaerner Reefer A/S, Oslo, Norway.
July 1991: Sold to Nordic Oriental Shipmanagement Pte, Ltd, Singapore.
© Bengt-Rune Inberg (left) and © Patrick Hill (right)
© Patrick Hill
January 2000: Sold to Dobson Fleet management, Limassol, Cyprus and renamed ALGECIRAS CARRIER.
© Henk Guddee
© Jorg Seyler
Algeciras Carrier © Nigel Thornton (Noted)
November 2007: Sold to Galaza Assets, Ltd, Kingstown, St Vincent & Grenadines and renamed BALTIC CARRIER.
© Stan Muller
June 2011: Sold to Indian breakers.
June 17th 2011: Beached at Alang and scrapping commenced..
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Patrick Hill, Bengt-Rune Inberg, Stan Muller and Jorg Seyler for their assistance in producing this feature.