Ex DHB Lady Vita
Iron paddle-steam tug, built in 1882 by Westwood Baillie, London (Yard No 291), for Dover Harbour Board.
- Length: 107.7 ft (overall) (between perpendiculars)
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Depth: 10.4 ft
Tonnage: 163 – 174 (1915)gross/53 – 11 (1915)net/ deadweight
Engines: 2 x L1cyl (31 x 57ins) by J Stewart & Sons Ltd, Blackwall
Call Sign: HTBN (Lingdale @ 1930)MDPF (Lingdale @ 1945))
LR Number (1945 – 46): 10364
Reg Number: 79377
Port of Registry: Dover/UK, Middlesbrough/UK
October 1882: Completed for Dover Harbour Board.
January 1883: Registered at Dover
“Whilst employed as a tender she carried many monarchs including the Kaiser who disembarked from the North German Lloyd liner KONIG ALBERT on 13th March 1904″.
🆕(October 12th 1905 Assisting Hamburg – Amerika Line AMERIKA at the Prince of Wales Pier. LADY CURZON in the background)
July 13th 1906: Together with LADY CURZON assisted the fastest liner of her time, DEUTSCHLAND, to leave the port. “As the manoeuvre progressed the vessel suddenly shot stern first, breaking one of the tug’s two ropes and making straight for the southern breakwater. Instead of colliding, however, the DEUTSCHLAND then changed direction once more for some explicable reason heading bow first in the opposite direction and on a direct course for the end of the Prince of Wales Pier….. In desperation, the starboard anchor was let go only 20 yards from the pier, but the was hardly sufficient to check the liner’s momentum and shortly after she stuck the jetty a glancing blow, doubling her stem over at right angles and damaging the plating on either side of her bow. The ship rebounded, struck again, though only slightly this time, then managed to back out of the harbour and into the Channel without further damage.”. Together with the Admiralty, who deemed the harbour unsafe for foreign liners, Hamburg – Amerika line also decided not use Dover as a port of call.
1914: Sold for £8,400 (book value)(her sale included in DHB Accounts for 1915).To J P Rennoldson & Sons Lts, South Shields
November 2nd 1914: Sold for £8,400 to The Tees Tug Co Ltd (Manager; WH Crosthwaite).
December 16th 1914: Renamed LINGDALE
1914: Chartered to the Admiralty.
April 1st 1915: On Admiralty service at Malta
February 1st 1920: Returned to owners
July 20th 1920: To Tees Towing Co Ltd (Managers; Robinson & Crosthwaite), Middlesbrough
1949: Managers; Wm Crosthwaite & Son
May 5th 1954: Broken up by J J King & Co Ltd, Gateshead.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright.
Special thanks go to: John Hendy
Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)