Roy Thornton CollectionTS Arromanches, Past and Present

T.S Leto

ex Arromanches, Vichy, Newhaven

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

Steel twin screw steamer built by Forges et Chantiers de la Mediterranee, Le Havre, France, between 1941-43 , known as NEWHAVEN during building.

Technical Data

  • Length: 308.4 ft (94.00m)(overall)
  • Breadth of hull: 39.7 ft(12.10m)(extreme)
  • Depth: 23.3 ft(7.10m)
  • Draught: 10.9 ft (3.32m)(maximum)
  • Tonnage: 2,444 net/790 gross
  • Engines: Two sets of Parsons SR geared turbines
  • Boilers/propellers: (Two oil-fired superheated w/t bt Penhoet)/2
  • Power: 22,000shp (12,000 shp astern)
  • Speed: 24 knots
  • Capacity: 1,450 passengers
  • Call Sign: SZNN (as LETO)
  • ID Number: 53057
  • Registry: Dieppe, Piraeus
  • Sister Ship: Dieppe

History

1939: Keel struck under the name of NEWHAVEN for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.

August 1940: Taken, on the stocks, by the Germans renamed VICHY. Not finished owing to the non-availability of her engines.

March 1946: Launched as ARROMANCHES.

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

October 1947: Delivered to S.N.C.M. Dieppe, France.

October 1947: Commenced service between Dieppe – Newhaven.

Roy Thornton Collection Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection (all)

March 7th 1950: Visited Dover carrying the President of France, Vincent Auriol, for a state visit. There was no French ship at Calais so she was brought up Channel from Newhaven especially for the occasion. It was to be her only visit to Calais.

Roy Thornton Collection Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection (both)

(http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=40819) (from 2.24 minutes)

July 8th 1964: In force 9 gale was grounded outside Newhaven. Re-floated without damage.

Roy Thornton Collection Nicolas Levy Collection

Roy Thornton Collection (left) Nicolas Levy Collection (right)

February 1965: Sold to Petros M. Nomikos, Piraeus, Greece for about £122,500 and partially painted white at Dieppe. Renamed LETO.

March 1965: Left Dieppe for Piraeus.

March 8th 1965: Arrived at Piraeus.

April 22nd 1965: Commenced service between Piraeus – Tinos – Mykonos.

Roy Thornton Collection Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

From A brief history of the Greek passenger and ferry fleet

October 1965: Completed her regular service and in 1966, 1967 and 1968 operated a daily service on similar short routes.

October 1970: Ran aground near Tinos after rudder-failure and declared a total loss.

1970: Laid up at Eleusis.

December 1972- July 1973: Broken up at Eleusis.


All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for errors and omissions. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Nicolas Levy for his assistance in producing this feature.

Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)


Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *