Ts Halladale, Past and Present

Ferrymar III

ex Turist Expressen, Norden, TS Halladale, Norden, K-417

Imperial War Museum

Imperial War Museum, Roy Thornton Collection

Former Royal Naval “River” class frigate, built in 1944 by A. & J. Inglis Ltd., Pointhouse, Glasgow (Yard No 1266). Bought by Townsend Bros. Ferries Ltd. in 1949 as a replacement for their FORDE, and converted into a car ferry by the Cork Dockyard Company at Rushbrooke (Cork Harbour), Eire.

Technical Data

  • IMO Number: 5114478
  • Purchase price in 1949:  £15,000
  • Length on deck: 91.90m (301.5 ft) (overall)
  • Breadth of Hull: 11.19m (36.5 ft) (extreme)
  • Draught: 3,30m (10.8 ft)
  • Tonnage: 1,370 gross, 1,441 (after rebuild), 491 net
  • Engines: 4 Parson’s steam turbines, single reduction gearing, each set of turbines connected to two screw shafts
  • Power: 6,500 shp
  • Speed: 20 knots
  • Capacity: 388 passengers, 50 – 60 cars, 650 passengers, 40 cars (after rebuild)

History

June 25th 1943: Laid down

January 28th 1944: Launched.

April 11th 1944: Delivered to the Royal Navy as K-417.

Imperial War Museum,

Imperial War Museum

May 11th 1944: Commissioned.

April 1949: Sold to Townsend Bros. Ferries Ltd.

1949: Towed to and rebuilt at Rushbrooke Yard, who quoted a fixed price of £77,00 for the job.

© Ken Smith

© Ken Smith

April 6th 1950: Maiden voyage from Dover – Calais. At the end of her first season, the HALLADALE was sent to Immingham to refit and continued to visit the Lincolnshire port until being caught there by an industrial dispute some years later, Amsterdam was used for refits instead.

April 10th 1950: Grounded on a mud bank inside Calais Harbour whilst leaving for Dover, a heavy squall forcing her off course whilst she was proceeding at some speed. Re-floated later that day.

April 11th 1950: Returned to Dover.

April 12th 1950: Left For repairs in Cardiff.

May 18th 1950: After repairs returned to Dover.

May 19th 1950: Returned to service.

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

During the first overhaul, the HALLADALE’s looks were altered by raising the line of her hull paint. A new passenger promenade deck was also constructed forward of the bridge, thus making even more of her ample outside deck space.

Roy Thornton Collection  Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

May 14th 1951: Collided with the 377-ton German motor vessel HANS HOTH just after the former had passed through the Eastern Entrance at Dover, bound for France. She suffered considerable damage and was taken to Tilbury for repairs.

June 1st 1951: Returned to service.

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

June 27th 1951: Inaugurated the new car ramp at Calais. This was a donation from Townsends and meant that at the French port at least cars could now be driven on and off the ship by means of a ramp which was lowered on to the stern after she berthed.

Nigel Thornton Collection  Nigel Thornton Collection

Nigel Thornton Collection

June 29th 1952: She had just entered Dover Harbour and was manoeuvring to go astern when she collided with the Belgian car ferry PRINSES JOSEPHINE CHARLOTTE. Only slight damage was sustained this time.

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

June 29th 1958: Collided with the jetty by the Eastern Docks loading ramps, an accident which was attributed to a failure of her bow rudder mechanism. Only slight damage was sustained this time.

Nigel Thornton Collection  Nigel Thornton Collection

Nigel Thornton Collection (all)

April 1959: Struck the end of the Southern breakwater whilst leaving Dover Harbour in thick fog.

November 5th 1961: Made her last trip, from Calais to Dover.

January 4th 1962: Sold to W. Rostedt of Turku, Finland and renamed NORDEN. Employed on a ferry service across the mouth of the Gulf of Bothnia between Turku and Norrtelje, Sweden

1962: Rebuilt at Rosteds Latokari Oy’s Yard and from June she was renamed TURIST EXPRESSEN then being introduced between Åbo – Stockholm and re-registered to Uuno Heinonen.

November 1962: Sold to Ferryboats of Porlamar, Venezuela. and renamed FERRYMAR III for a service from Margarita

1987: Broken up at Aruba, (an island in the lesser Antilles north of the Venezuelan coast).


All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for errors and omissions. All items included in this article are subject to ©. We would like to thank: Micke Asklander (Faktaomfartyg) and Ken Smith for their assistance in compiling this feature.

 Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)


Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *