© Ken Larwood
Steel twin screw turbine vessel built and engined in 1946 at John Brown & Co, Clydebank, Scotland (Yard No 636) for British Transport Commission, London & North Eastern Region, London, England. (British Railway) as a passenger and cargo vessel.
- Length: 114.2 m (overall)109.94 m (between perpendiculars)
Breadth: 16.4 m
Depth: 7.71 m
Draught: 4.5 m
Tonnage: 4891 – 5008 (1954) gross/2450 – 2438 (1954) net/1139 deadweight
Engines: Two Parsons SRG steam turbines
Boilers: 2 oil burned water tube boilers type Yarrow with 3 drums
Speed: 17.0 knots (service)
Capacity: 750 1st class passengers (1947), 675 passengers (1950)
Berths: 475 (1947), 375 1st class, 210 2nd class (1954)
Call Sign: GBFF
IMO Number: 502501
Official Number: 182197
Port of Registry: Harwich/UK
Sister Ship: Amsterdam (III)
November 7th 1946: Launched at a cost of £684,364 for London & North Eastern Region (British Railways)
May 1947: Completed and conducted speed trials. Built for overnight service; so most of her passengers were accommodated in private cabins. Delivered as a one-class ship.
May 23rd 1947: Made a courtesy call to Rotterdam where she was inspected by H.R.H. Princess Juliana.
May 26th 1947: Maiden voyage, thereafter being introduced between Harwich – Hook of Holland.
January 1st 1948: Registry transferred to the newly formed British Transport Commission (Eastern Region).
1949: Cabin segregation was achieved but her main public spaces, namely lounges, restaurant and promenade deck remained common to both 1st and 3rd class.
May 1954: Refitted. Her accommodation was altered to 1st and 2nd class.
© William MacDonald
January 1st 1963: British Railways Board succeeded British Transport Commission.
1964: Vessels painted in the new livery of British Railways, (blue hull and red funnels) and the “Double – Arrow”
Courtesy of Ted Ingham
April 26th 1968: Made her last call at Hook of Holland and was laid-up.
August 13th 1968: Sold to T W Ward for £39,600 and sailed, under tow, from Parkeston Quay.
August 16th 1968: Arrived at Tomas W. Ward, Inverkeithing for breaking up or for resale (which failed to materialise).
June 1969: Demolition commenced.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Ted Ingham, Ken Larwood and William MacDonald for their assistance in producing this feature.
Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)