Ex City of Famagusta, Arcadian
© Malcolm Cranfield
Steel single screw motor vessel built in 1960 by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith (Yard No 473) as a General Cargo ship.
- Length: 111.82 m (overall) 103.64 m (between perpendiculars)
Breadth: 16.59 m
Depth: 9.45 m
Draught: 6.395 m
Tonnage: 3402 gross/1419 net/4518t 4447 deadweight
Engines: 2 stroke 7 cylinder 7SD60 Sulzer oil engine built by Fairfield S.B. & E. Co. Ltd
Power: 2611 kW/3500 bhp
Speed: 13.5 knots
Passenger Capacity: 12
Capacity: ft³ G: 245550 B:226550 In: 29500
Call Sign: GFKU (Arcadian), ODCU (Batroun)
IMO Number: 5022077
- Official Number: 301349 (LR 1974 – 75)
Port of Registry: Liverpool/ UK, Beirut/Lebanon
March 15th 1960: Launched.
July 1960: Completed as ARCADIAN for Ellerman LinesLtd. Manager; Ellerman City Liners. Was the third of the three ship order from the Ellerman Wilson Line and was, together with her sister, the largest ship to be built at the Leith yard.
© Charlie Hill (Courtesy of PWR)
1974: Renamed CITY OF FAMAGUSTA
May 1977: Sold to Associated Levant Lines Ltd. (SAL) of Beirut, with T.Gargour & Fils as Managers along with CITY OF LIMASSOL
June 21st 1977: Delivered to her new owners in London and renamed BATROUN.
Courtesy of Chris Howell (Hamburg 09/07/1977)
© Simonwp (Hamburg 01/08/1983)(Left) © John Hendy (Granville Dock, Dover 1980’s)(Right)
© Gerolf Drebes (Elbe 22/06/1983) (Left)© John Galtry (Courtesy of Patrick Hill) Rozenburg June 1984)(Right)
© Pieter Inpyn (Europoort 1986)
December 18th 1986: Arrived at Gadani Beach for scrapping
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Malcolm Cranfield, Gerolf Drebes, John Hendy, Charlie Hill, Patrick Hill, Pieter Inpyn and Simonwp for their assistance in producing this feature.
Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)