© Ken LarwoodMV Winchester, Past and Present

MV Radiosa

Ex Exeter, Grida, Winchester

© Ken Larwood

© Ken Larwood

Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1947 by William Denny of Dumbarton (Yard No 1403) for The Southern Railway, as a cargo vessel.

Technical Data

  • Length: 70.1m (between perpendiculars) 76.69m (overall)
  • Breadth of Hull: 11.550m
  • Depth: 4.88m
  • Draught: 3.93m (maximum)
  • Tonnage: 1,149 – 1,545 gross/424 – 877 net/780 deadweight
  • Engines: Two 5-cylinder Sulzer diesels.
  • Power: 2,238 kW/3,000 bhp
  • Speed: 15 knots (service) 12 knots (economical)
  • Capacity: 12 passengers, 650 tons of cargo (50,000 cu ft).
  • Call Sign: GTDC, SV3719
  • ID Number: 539179 (1967-68)
  • Official Number: 182273
  • Registry: Southampton, Piraeus/Greece

History

March 21st 1947: Launched at a cost of £215,154.

November 6th 1947: Sea trials.

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

November 11th 1947: Delivered to Southern Railway.

December 2nd 1947: Maiden voyage to Jersey.

January 1st 1948: Registered to the British Transport Commission Southern Region.

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

September 1949: For five weeks, she replaced the LONDON-ISTANBUL at Dover and Folkestone

December 2nd 1955: Serious collision with the HASLEMERE in the Solent, causing severe damage to her bows.

© Ken Larwood  © Ken Larwood

© Ken Larwood

March 1st 1965: Transferred to Weymouth.

© Derek Longly

© Derek Longly (Overhaul at Newhaven)

September 1966 : Went to Folkestone as a relief vessel (replacing DARLINGTON Associated Humber Lines).

Courtesy of Michael Woodland

Courtesy of Michael Woodland

Courtesy of Ted Ingham  Roy Thornton Collection

Courtesy of Ted Ingham (left) Roy Thornton Collection (right)

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

February 25th 1970: Hit the Roustel Beacon off the east coast of Guernsey, causing severe damage to the tower. She was repaired at John Upham Ltd., St. Sampson.

December 29th 1970: With the move towards containerisation, she became obsolete and, after having spent the last few years at Guernsey she made her final trip.

April 1970: Sold to Allied Allied Finance S.A., Greece (Chandris Cruises)

April 30th 1970: Renamed GRIDA at Weymouth.

May 5th 1970: She was again renamed, this time being called EXETER

May 16th 1970: Sailed from Weymouth to Piraeus.

May 24th 1970: She arrived in Piraeus and was converted into a cruise ship and renamed RADIOSA, being registered to the Allied Finance SA, Greece, and operated in the colours of the Chandris Line.

Roy Thornton Collection

Roy Thornton Collection

1972 : Served on the Port Rafti – Mykonos service.

1978: Short sea cruises on the French Riviera.

September 1982: Sold to Radiosa Soc, Anon, Panama and introduced between Paleon Phaliron – Marina Flisvos.

© A Scrimali, Roy Thornton Collection  © A Scrimali, Roy Thornton Collection

© A Scrimali, Roy Thornton Collection

© A Scrimali, Roy Thornton Collection

© Simonwp

 © Simonwp (Piraeus 22/10/1984)

1985: Saw her operating coastal services in Crete from which she was laid-up in Perama.

July 2nd 1995: Demolition commenced at Myriknopolous Shipyard, Perama?


All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions found. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Ted Ingham, Ken Larwood, Derek Longly, Simonwp and Michael Woodland for their assistance in producing this feature.

Article © Nigel Thornton and Ray Goodfellow (Dover Ferry Photos Group)


Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *