MV Suffolk Ferry
Suffolk Ferry © National Railway Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1947 at John Brown & Co., (Clydebank) Ltd (Yard No 638) for The British Transport Commission (L.N.E.R. Harwich) as a passenger and train ferry
- Length: 123.30 m (overall) 115.83 m (between perpendiculars)
- Breadth: 18.75 m
- Depth: 5.80 m
- Draught: 3.696 m
- Tonnage: 3134 gross/1427 net/1926t deadweight
- Engines: 2 Oil 2SA 6-cylinder Sulzer (John Brown and Co) diesels
- Power: 1999 kW/2680 BHP
- Speed: 13.5 knots (service) 14.5 knots (max)
- Capacity: 12 passengers, 39 International railway wagons
- Call Sign: GCZN
- IMO Number: 5343160
- Official Number: 182200
- Port of Registry: Harwich/UK
- Sister Ships: Essex Ferry, Norfolk Ferry
May 6th 1947: Launched . First cost £380,772.0.
August 1947: Delivered to British Transport Commission, Southern Region, Harwich, England.
© National Railway Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
August 1947: Introduced between Harwich – Zeebrugge.
December 14th 1947: After the rebuilding of her stern to incorporate extra deck space she returned to service.
January 1st 1963: British Railways Board succeeded British Transport Commission.
Nigel Thornton Collection
1964: Vessels painted in the new livery of British Railways, (blue hull and red funnels) and the “Double – Arrow”.
© Simonwp (Hull, 18/06/1978)
Andreas Wörteler Collection (Zeebrugge)
© Ted Ingham
August 1980: Sold to a Belgian breakers yard in Antwerp, Belgium.
November 25th 1980: Left the River Stour for the last time in tow of the tug ENGELAND bound for Belgian breakers.
April 1981: Scrapping began at Tamise, Belgium.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Ted Ingham, Simonwp and Andreas Wörteler for their assistance in producing this feature.