MV Hudson Bay
Ex Kiwi, Central Reefer, Southern Laurel, Southern Universal
© Jörn Prestien
Steel single screw motor vessel built in 1983 by Towa Shimonoseki, Japan (Yard No 540) as a Refrigerated Cargo Ship
- Length: 140.0 m (overall) 130.0 m (between perpendiculars)
- Breadth: 21.20 m
- Depth: 10.06 m
- Draught: 8.70 m
- Tonnage: 5,555-8,052 gross/3,347-3,950 net/8,945 deadweight
- Engines: 1x Mitsubishi 7UEC – 2 stroke 7 cylinder 520 x 1.250 mm diesel.
- Power: 6844 kW/9,300HP
- Speed: 17.5 knots
- Continuous Decks: 3
- Capacity: 4 holds, 15 compartments, 11.327 m³
- Call Sign: JJFO, 3EFA6, V2QG4
- IMO Number: 8202654
- Official Number: 126162
- Port of Registry: Tokyo/Japan, Panama, St Johns/Antigua & Barbuda
1983: Completed for Southern Shipping K.K as SOUTHERN UNIVERSAL
Courtesy of Ted Ingham (@ Dover mid ‘eighties)
January 12th 1988: Renamed SOUTHERN LAUREL.
October 25th 1990: Renamed CENTRAL REEFER. Registered Manager; Kyoku Ships Managing S.A.
August 5th 1995: Renamed KIWI.
© Cap Jan Melchers
July 6th 1999: Registered Owner; NTH Reefer Shipping Co Ltd. Owner; Thien & Heyenga Bereederungs- und Befrachtungs Ges. MbH. Hamburg. Manager; Seatrade Groningen. Renamed HUDSON BAY.
© Gena Amfimov
2012: Sold to Indian Breakers.
April 26th 2012: Arrived at anchorage Alang – India.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Gena Amfimov, Ted Ingham, Capt Jan Melchers and Jörn Prestien for their assistance in producing this feature.