Ex Frio Venezuela, Frio Progress, Aegean Progress, Polar Colombia
Courtesy of Chris Howell
Steel motor vessel built in 1968 by Blohm & Voss of Steinwerder (Yard No 855) as a Refrigerated Cargo Ship
- Length: 147.91m (overall) 134.80m (between perpendiculars)
- Breadth: 10.04m
- Depth: 12.15m
- Draught: 6.576/8.222m
- Tonnage: 3,827 – 5,631 gross/1,975 – 3,125 net/4,795 – 7,949 deadweight
- Engines: 2 x 16PC2V-400 Pielstick diesels
- Power: 10,944kW/14880HP
- Speed: 22.0 knots (service)
- Capacity: 11,963m³
- Call Sign: 5BVE, 5MTJ
- IMO Number: 6730035
- Official Number:
- Port of Registry: Hamburg/Germany, Monrovia/Liberia, Piraeus/Greece, Limassol/Cyprus
- Sister-Ship: Polar Argentina, Polar Brazil, Polar Ecuador, Polar Paraguay, Polar Uruguay
October 14th 1967: Launched
March 1st 1968: Completed for Hamburg – Sudamerikanische Dampfs Ges Eggert & Amsinck
1970: Registered Owner; Bock, Godeffroy & Co.
Courtesy of Chris Howell (left) © Gordon Wise (@ Dover)(right)
1978: Registered Owner: Lapis Shipping Inc
© Thomas Prass
Courtesy of Chris Howell (1981)(left)
1984: To Adroit Shipping Corp and renamed AEGEAN PROGRESS
© Simonwp (06/11/1985)
1986: To Leeshore Shipping Co Ltd and renamed FRIO PROGRESS
1988: To Winson Shipping and renamed FRIO VENEZUELA
October 21st 1988: Suffered rudder failure and grounded near Flushing.
1993: To Garden Venus Shipping Co Ltd and renamed MIRAMAR.
Nigel Thornton Collection
April 27th 1998: Scrapped at Alang Ship Brokers Kathiawar for $156 per LDT (4,568 LDT) $708,000 total.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Chris Howell, Thomas Prass, Simonwp and Gordon Wise for their assistance in producing this feature.