MV Messina Strait
ex Carla Pira, Carmel Bio-Top, Rio Yarkon
© Enrico Righetti
Steel single screw motor vessel built in 2004 by Estaleiros Navais De Viana Do Castello S.A. (Yard No 213) as a General Cargo ship.
- Cost New: $20m
- Length: 176.33m (between perpendiculars), 185.91m (overall)
- Breadth of hull: 25.14m
- Depth: 13.4m
- Draught: 9.3m
- Tonnage: 18931 gross/8827 net/16494t deadweight
- Engines: (1) 2T- 7 cylinder Sulzer diesel
- Power: 16550kW/22486 bhp
- Speed: 21 knots
- Capacity: 460498 cu ft/ 270 FEU + 74 TEU or 630 TEU
- Call Sign: A8CJ6 (Rio Yarkon), ZCDQ5 (Cala Pira), PJMP
- IMO Number: 9267546
- Registry: Liberia, Bermuda, Willemstad/Curacao
- Sister Ship: Magellan Strait
2004: Completed as RIO YARKON and, together with her sister, immediately sold.
2004: Renamed CARMEL BIO-TOP. Owner; Rio Yarkon. Manager; Columbus Shipmanagement GmbH.
© Enrico Righetti (left) © Benoit Donne (right)
May 18th 2006: Owner; Furzehill Ltd.
October 2011: Renamed CALA PIRA.
May 17th 2013: Owner; Messina Strait Shipping Co Nv,Greece. Manager; Seatrade Management Co Ltd, Athens.
June 1st 2013: Renamed MESSINA STRAIT.
We would like to thank: Federico Bolognini, Benoit Donne, and Enrico Righetti for their assistance in producing this feature. All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for errors and omissions.