ex Artemis, Panagia Tinou, Captain Constantinos, Koningin Wilhelmina
Roy Thornton Collection
Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1960 at N.V. Scheepswerf & Machinefabriek ” De Merwede”, Hardinxveld, Holland (Yard No. 548) for Stoomvaart Maatschappij Zeeland N.V. Hoek Van Holland. Holland as a passenger and vehicle ferry
- Length: 120.02 m (overall) 110.28 m (between perpendiculars)
- Breadth: 17.33 m
- Depth: 5.02 m
- Draught: 4.89 m
- Tonnage: 6228 – 4951 gross/2727 – 2643 net/732t – 1178t deadweight
- Engines: 2SA 12-cyl – MAN K12Z57 / 80 diesels
- Power: kW/5600 bhp
- Speed: 21.0 knots
- Capacity: 1,600 passengers (da),100 (night), 60 cars (side loaded)
- Call Sign: PFKU, SWUH
- IMO Number: 5192987 Official Number:
- Port of Registry: Hoek van Holland/Netherlands, Piraeus/Greece, San Lorenzo/Honduras
June 1956: Ordered.
May 30th 1959: Launched by H.M. Queen Juliana. Had side doors fitted to load 60 cars. First Zeeland ship with stabilisers.
January 30th 1960: Delivered to Stoomvaart Maatschappij Zeeland N.V. Hoek Van Holland. Holland.
Courtesy of John Hendy
February 7th 1960: Maiden voyage between Hoek Van Holland – Harwich.
June 15th 1967: Special cruise for invited guests as Queen Juliana opened the new entrance of Ijmuiden.
🆕Courtesy of Jim Ashby
1968: Downgraded to extra summer and relief sailings following the arrival of the new car ferry KONINGIN JULIANA.
June 11th 1971: Special cruise for invited guests as Queen Juliana opened the new entrance to Europort.
Roy Thornton Collection © Steffen Weirauch
1976: Fitted with electric bow thrust.
June 28th 1978: Replaced by PRINSES BEATRIX and final sailing from Parkeston Quay.
July 1st 1978: Laid up in Flushing as relief vessel.
December 10th 1978: Sold to C. Ventouris & Sons, Piraeus, Greece, renamed CAPTAIN CONSTANTINOS.
December 18th 1978: Arrived in Piraeus and rebuilt.
1979: Commenced service between Syros – Tinos – Mykonos.
1981: Renamed PANAGIA TINOU.
© Simonwp (23/10/1984)(left) © A Scrimali, Roy Thornton Collection (right)
1981: She was further renamed “PANAGIA TINOY” although the name on the bow was later amended.
1981: Renamed PANAGIA TINOU
© Ken Larwood (Tinos 1988)
🆕© Frank Heine (Piraeus 16/07/1990)(left) Roy Thornton Collection (right)
1994: Transferred to Ventouris Sea Lines, Piraeus, Greece and renamed ARTEMIS. Commenced service day-cruising.
October 1995: Ventouris Sea Lines went bankrupt and she was laid up.
1996: Sold by auction to Minoan Cruises, Piraeus, Greece. Began cruising between Heraklion – Rethymnon – Agios Nikolaos, Santorini.
© Carsten Dettmer (01/07/1996)
© Tony Garner (27/09/1999)
© Mick Warwick (01/08/2000)
April 30th 2001: Sold to Vickie Navigation, San Lorenzo, Honduras. Renamed TEMIS.
May 14th 2001: Arrived Alang, India for scrapping.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking: Carsten Dettmer, Tony Garner, Frank Heine, Ken Larwood, Ken Smith, Mick Warwick and Andreas Wörteler for their assistance in producing this feature.
Special thanks to Jim Ashby and John Hendy.