MV Costa Rican Star
ex Hornwind, Costa Rican Star
© Gerolf Drebes
Steel single screw motor vessel built in 1998 by Shikoku Dockyard, Takamatsu (Yard No 885) for Blue Star Line.
- Length: 144m/154m (overall)
- Breadth: 24m (extreme)
- Depth: 13.3m
- Draught: 9.068m
- Tonnage: 11,435 – 15,058 gross/5,901 – 7,480 net/10,350 – 10,362 deadweight
- Engines: 2 SA 6-cylinder Mitsui Engineering diesels.
- Power: 15806 bhp (11633 kW)
- Speed: 23.1 knots (trial), 21 knots (maximum), 19 knots laden
- Holds/Hatches: 4/4
- Capacity: REF 15982 DRY;TEU-258,FEU-126 REF;FEU-80;CAR 531
- Temperature compartments/zones: 16/8
- Controlled atmosphere zones: 8
- Call Sign: 3FDD8, A8KK4
- IMO Number: 9150822
- Registry: Panama/ Liberia
- Sister Ships: Caribbean Star, Colombian Star, Cote d’Ivorian Star
July 3rd 1997: Keel laid.
Star Reefers (C Class GA Plan)
October 17th 1997: “C” Class vessel launched as COSTA RICAN STAR for Betelgeuse Shg. Corp. S.A., Panama.
January 22nd 1998: Completed for Unique Shipping (Canada) Inc. (Unique Shipping Agencies Ltd.).
1998: Chartered to Horn-Line, Germany and renamed HORNWIND.
December 1st 2002: Renamed COSTA RICAN STAR.
2003: Registered Owner; Caribbean Shg.Inc. Panama. Registered Manager: Fleet Management, Hong Kong.
2004: Registered Owner; Star Reefers Shipowning Inc.
2005: Registered Owner: Star Reefers, Gdynia. Poland.
2008: Registered Manager; Norbulk Shg.UK. Ltd.
© Tim Becker
2011: Registered Manager; Star Reefers UK Ltd.
© David Pratt
2013: Lengthened at Qingdao Beihai Shipbuilding Yard, China.
November 2013: Re-delivered to Star Reefers.
November 27th 2013: Collided with Chinese cargo vessel DE QIN 88 on Qingdao Road. Collision was caused by a bad weather. Reefer’s anchor dragged, vessel drifted towards Chinese vessel and hit it by stern. Both vessels suffered damages, Chinese vessel reportedly lost anchor.
September 2014: Registered Owner; SSI Shipowning I Inc. Registered Manager; Star Reefers UK Ltd.
© Aleksi Lindström
We would like to thank: Gerolf Drebes, Tim Becker, Aleksi Lindström and David Pratt for their assistance in producing this feature. All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for errors and omissions.