Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1996 by Kvaener-Masa Yard, Åbo, Finland (Yard No 1337) for Deutsche Seereederei Touristik, Rostock. Germany.
- Original Cost: DM 300 million
- Length: 193.34m (overall), 174.15m (registered)
- Breadth of hull: 27.60m
- Depth: 16.95m (moulded)
- Draught: 6.00m
- Tonnage: 38,531 gross/ 38,557 (2009)/17,094 net/ 17,766 (2009)/3,752 deadweight
- Engines: 4 x MAN B & W 6L48/60 diesels
- Power/Propellers: 21720kW/2
- Speed: 21 knots
- Capacity: 1,230 passengers
- Crew: 369
- Navigation Officers: German
- Passenger Decks: 9
- Call Sign: IBNR (AIDAcara)
- IMO Number: 9112789
- Registry: Genova, Italy
September 11th 1995: Keel laid.
February 16th 1996: Launched.
June 4th 1996: Completed and delivered to Deutsche Seereederei Touristik, Rostock, Germany.
June 7th 1996: Christened in Warnemünde.
June 11th 1996: Maiden cruise from Bremerhaven – Palma De Mallorca. In the summer she cruised in the Mediterranean and the remainder of the year the Caribbean.
August 1997: Taken over by Norwegian Cruise Line, Monrovia, Liberia.
August 1999: Sold to Deutsche Seereederei, Germany. (Arkona-Touristik).
September 1999: Taken over by Aida Cruises.
December 2001: Renamed AIDACARA.
September 2003: Registered Owner: P & O Cruises.
March 2004: Registered Owner: Carnival PLC
December 2004: Registered Owner: Costa Grociere
April 2005: Arrived in Rostock for rebuilding, lasting two weeks.
April 2005: Resumed cruising.
We would like to thank: Joonas Kortelainen and Aleksi Lindström for their assistance in producing this feature. All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for errors and omissions.