ex DHB Delphinus
Roy Thornton Collection
Steel twin screw diesel-engined passenger tender built in 1957 by P K Harris, Appledore (Yard no 106) for the Dover Harbour Board
- Length: (95.6 ft)(overall), (85.0 ft)(between perpendiculars)
- Breadth: 7.68m (25.2 ft) (extreme)
- Depth: (14.3 ft)
- Draught: 9.2 (maximum)
- Tonnage: 178 gross/60 net
- Engines: Two 6-cylinder SA diesel engines built by Gleniffer of Glasgow.
- Power: 240bhp
- Speed: 10 knots
- Capacity: 150 (max) passengers, 4 cars either crane loaded or driven direct from a ramp.
- Call Sign: 5BJX (@ 1974)
- ID Number: 5088344
- Official Number: 185699
- Registry: Dover (1957 – 1967),Famagusta (1969 – )
1957: Built by P.K. Harris & Sons Ltd at Appledore
March 15th 1957: Launched.
September 17th 1957: Delivered, by a Harbour Board crew, to Dover Harbour Board at Dover for use as a passenger tender.
Roy Thornton Collection (Left) © Petroc (Right)
1967: To Marine Transport Services Ltd at Cork. Still named DELPHINUS.
1969: To Tayfun Shipping Co Ltd at Famagusta. Engaged Famagusta, Alanya, Kyrenia, Mersin service.
1975: Manager Orphanides & Murat at Limassol.
January 1986: Aground and no further reports.
All information is believed to be correct and no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions found. All items included in this article are subject to © copyright.