Past and Present


In September 2006 Nigel Thornton joined the team and started compiling his hugely popular ‘Past and Present‘ features on this website. His features profile the timeline of an individual vessel through photography and historical information. Originally focused on the history of the local ferry fleets which have served the Port of Dover over the years it has now been expanded to include all vessel types which have a connection with the town and ships connected to our recent travels.

Related Posts

Courtesy of Stéphane Poulain

HSC Ingenieur Jean Bertin – Past and Present

HSC Ingenieur Jean Bertin – SEDAM type N500 ‘Naviplane’ Hovercraft built in 1977 by Sedam, Pauillac, France (Yard No 2) for SNCF, France

© Fotoflite

MV European Gateway – Past and Present

MV Lopi, ex European Gateway – Steel twin screw motor vessel, intended primarily as a commercial vehicle ferry, built and engined by Schichau Unterweser A.G., Bremen (Yard No. 2256) in 1975 for the Monarch Steamship Company, a subsidiary of the European Ferries Group.

© Fotoflite

MV European Trader – Past and Present

MV Lina, ex European Trader – Steel twin screw motor vessel, intended primarily as a commercial vehicle ferry, built and engined by Schichau Unterweser A.G., Bremen (Yard No. 2258) in 1975 for the Monarch Steamship Company, like Townsend’s, a subsidiary of the European Ferries Group

© Bob Scott

MV Villandry – Past and Present

MV Adina Lestari 102, ex Delos, Olympia, Villandry – Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1965 by Dubigeon-Normandie S.A., Nantes-Chantenay, France (Yard No 809) as a passenger and vehicle roll-on roll-off vehicle ferry, for SNCF

© Ted Ingham

MV Valencay – Past and Present

MV Pollux I, ex Eptanisos, Valencay – Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1965 by Chantiers de Atlantique, Nantes, France (Yard No E23) as a passenger and vehicle roll-on roll-off vehicle ferry, for SNCF

Nigel Thornton Collection

Lighthouse and Café, Prince of Wales Pier.

The Prince of Wales Pier was completed in May 1902, having been started ten years earlier. The then Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone in 1893. Preliminary designs were done by Sir John Goode (President of the Institution of Civil Engineers), although he died in March 1892

© Tony Garner

TS Caledonian Princess – Past and Present

TS Prince, ex Tuxedo Princess, Caledonian Princess – Steel twin screw steam turbine vessel, built and engined by Wm Denny & Bros, Ltd., Dumbarton, in 1961(Yard No. 1501) for Caledonian Steam Packet Co (Irish Services) Ltd., as a passenger and car ferry.

Nigel Thornton Collection

MV Princesse Astrid – Past and Present

MV Express Erme, ex Express Hermes, Bari Express, Georgios B, Princesse Astrid (II) – Steel twin screw motor vessel, built by N.V. Boelwerf S.A., Temse, (Yard No 1440) for the Belgian Marine Administration’s Ostend service in 1969. Engined by Sulzer Bros, Winterthur.

Nigel Thornton Collection

MV Roi Baudouin – Past and Present

MV Georgios Express, ex Georgios B, Roi Baudouin – Steel twin screw motor vessel, built by Cockerill’s of Hoboken for the Belgian Marine Administration’s Ostend service in 1965 (Yard No. 828). Engined by Sulzer Bros. Ltd., Winterthur

Nigel Thornton Collection

MV Galloway Princess – Past and Present

MV Le Rif, ex Stena Galloway, Galloway Princess – Steel twin screw motor vessel, built by  Harland & Wolff, Belfast (Yard No. 1713), for Sealink U.K. in 1980 as a passenger and roll-on roll-off car and commercial vehicle ferry. Engined by Crossley-Pielstick.