© Ken LarwoodCategory Archive Listing:

British Channel Island Ferries (BCIF)


British Channel Island Ferries (BCIF) was a ferry operator who ran services between the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands. The company was founded in late 1984 as Channel Island Ferries by a consortium made up of Brittany Ferries, Huelin Renouf and Mainland Market Deliveries (MMD) to compete with Sealink British Ferries services to Portsmouth and Weymouth. Channel Island Ferries established their service from Portsmouth to the Channel Islands late in March 1985. In January 1994 it was announced that British Channel Island Ferries had been bought by Commodore Shipping. Today Commodore Shipping operates as Condor Ferries.

© Fotoflite

MV Olau Kent – Past and Present

MV Apollo, ex Olau Kent – Twin screw motor vessel built in 1970 at Jos L Meyer Werft, Papenburg-Ems, Germany (Yard No. 560) for Ab Slite/Rederi Ab Volo as a passenger and vehicle roll-on/roll-off ferry

© Patrick Hill

MV Breizh-Izel – Past and Present

MV Duchess M, ex Balbeck, Duchess M, Breizh-Izel, Iniochos Express, Rata Hills, Wanaka – Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1970 at Taikoo Dockyard & Eng. Co, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong (Yard no 598) for Union Steamship, Wellington, New Zealand as a passenger and vehicle ferry.

Nigel Thornton Collection

MV St Edmund – Past and Present

MV Sara 3 – ex Santa Catharine, Scirocco, Rozel, Scirocco, HMS Keren, Keren, St Edmund – Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1975 at Cammell Laird Shipbuilders Ltd., Birkenhead, England (Yard No 1361) for Passtruck (Shipping) Co. Ltd., London, England as a passenger and vehicle ferry

MV Purbeck - Past and Present

MV Purbeck – Past and Present

MV Maria Rosario, ex Purbeck – Steel twin screw motor vessel built in 1978 at Ateliers et Chantiers du Havre (ACH), Le Havre, France (Yard No 247) for Truckline Ferries France S.A. Cherbourg, France as a passenger and commercial vehicle ferry

Nigel Thornton Collection

MV Lion – Past and Present

MV Adinda Listara 101, ex Portelet, Baroness M, Portelet, Lion – Steel twin screw motor vessel, built by Cammell, Laird of Birkenhead in 1967 for Messrs. Burns & Laird (Yard No. 1326) as a passenger and roll-on roll-off car ferry for the Irish Channel service. Engined by Crossley Bros Ltd, of Manchester