SS Lagos Hercules, ex Hercules, DHB Lady Crundall – Steam twin screw salvage steamer built in 1906 by J P Rennoldson & Co, South Shields (Yard No 246) for Dover Harbour Board
Berth 1 at the Eastern Docks (ED1) was designed and installed by MacGregor-Navire (MGN). It was designed to be capable of servicing a wide range of vessels including freight only RoRo’s and car/passenger ferries.
After the transfer of much of British Rail’s classical passenger services to Folkestone and to relieve the heavily used ramps at the Eastern Docks, a new car ferry berth was to be constructed inside the knuckle of the Admiralty Pier.
Have you ever departed or arrived at the Port of Dover on a ferry and wondered what that strange building was at the end of the Eastern Arm? The answer to that question is that’s ‘Dover Port Control’.
With ships becoming much larger only vessels built up to and before the early 1970’s could fit into the original train ferry dock situated within Dover’s Western Docks. The new generation of ships that were then being developed were twice the size in terms of size and capacity and they could make up to five round trips of the busy Dover Straits each day. The train ferries that were in service at this time could only manage three round trips at best, this in part due to the time taken to adjust the water level within the train ferry dock to the sea level outside within the harbour.
Between 1884 and 1914 several attempts were made to get a train ferry service between Britain and France. Among these was the rejected 1930 Channel Tunnel Project. As a result Sir Herbert Walker, General Manager of the Southern Railway, was authorised by his Directors to plan a cross-channel train ferry service. In 1933 Southern Railway undertook to order three new ferryboats and to construct a ferry dock at Dover. It was agreed that a site, lying between the South Pier and the base of the Admiralty Pier, would be suitable.