Introduction The Pride of Dover arrived in the Essex port of Tilbury from Dover on the 16th December 2010 having finally finished […]
Have you ever departed or arrived at the Port of Dover on a ferry and wondered what that strange building was at the end of the Eastern Arm? The answer to that question is that’s ‘Dover Port Control’.
The Prince of Wales Pier was completed in May 1902, having been started ten years earlier. The then Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone in 1893. Preliminary designs were done by Sir John Goode (President of the Institution of Civil Engineers), although he died in March 1892
With ships becoming much larger only vessels built up to and before the early 1970’s could fit into the original train ferry dock situated within Dover Western Docks. The new generation of ships that were then being developed were twice the size in terms of size and capacity and they could make up to five round trips of the busy Dover Straits each day.
It is probably hard to believe that it is now over sixty years since motorists were first able to drive their cars directly on and off the ships at the Port of Dover. We often take it for granted that we can drive into the port and drive directly on to our ship with the whole process taking a matter of minutes. Prior to this people taking their cars across the Channel watched from the quayside as their cars were crane loaded as cargo into the ship’s hold as they boarded the ship on foot via the gangway.
In 1933 Southern Railway undertook to order three new train ferries and to construct a train ferry dock at Dover. It was agreed that a site, lying between the South Pier and the base of the Admiralty Pier, would be suitable.